Thursday, August 15, 2013

Keeping up with the garden

The day has finally come. The garden is producing food and we are trying to keep up with it! 

This is a great day. For months and months, I would go to the garden every day and pick weeks and make sure all the little seeds have enough water. Finally all that work has paid off and now I only go to the garden 2 or 3 times a week and each time we leave with bags full of delicious produce. 

Jack heading to the garden, bag in hand

Lily ready to pick some goodies

Jack picking tomatoes

Eggplant ready to eat

Jack and his bell pepper

Lily and her broccoli 
Jack and his broccoli
Kids with their bags full
 I have been very lucky for my first attempt at gardening. Everything in my garden is producing. We are at the point now where we are eating more veggies than ever just to keep up with the garden. I have basil coming out of my ears. The freezer is filling up with homemade pesto and each week we are trying to figure out new dishes to make with our veggies. So far, the fail proof method has been to saute any and all veggies in garlic and butter and serve them with parmesan cheese. 

Garden green beans, tomatoes and basil
sauteed in garlic and topped with
parmesan cheese

If I've learned anything from having a garden, it's that having a garden forces you to eat more veggies since all that hard work can't go to waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment