Friday, March 27, 2015

Running through the pain

Luke and I are right at the peak training period for our half marathon. It means that I am running 25-30 miles per week and half of those miles are pushing the double stroller. It's no surprise to me that things started hurting. First it was my toe that turned black

And then my left knee started swelling. 
I kept up running, trying to just run through the pain. But after a month of a painfully swollen knee I decided to go see the doctor. They did and Xray and an MRI but could not find the cause for the swelling. So the doctor decided to drain my knee to reduce the swelling and here is what came out:

Then he also gave me a cortisone shot and drew 5 files of blood from my arm to try and figure out what was going on. My knee felt better and I was almost pain free for 2 days. It was amazing to be able to walk down stairs, lay in bed, bend down, etc with no pain. Then on the 3rd day my knee was swollen and the pain was back. I was limping through my runs and trying my best to keep icing and wrapping my knee. Then we found out all the bloodwork came back normal but the fluid showed some abnormalities. The sports medicine doctor sent me to a rheumatologist but this doctor can't get me an appointment until May. Not much help for me since the race will be over by then. So for now I have found that icing my knee before and after every run really helps reduce pain and at this point I am only focused on finished the race, I can't even think about my pace which is going to be so hard given how competitive Luke and I are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment