Monday, June 16, 2014

When it rains, it pours...

In a perfect world the plan for this summer was to stay at our current apartment until the end of July (when our lease was up), then we would move somewhere closer to Jack's school in August. But we quickly found out that the renters market in this area was insanely competitive and not much was available in the area I wanted. So I started searching early and found that the good places were only online for 1-2 days before someone took it. I had a very narrow search area as I wanted Jack to be able to walk to school and nothing was coming up for rent. I even went so far as to print out 50 flyers asking if people wanted to rent out their home and taped them on all the doors in the neighborhood I wanted to live. One person responded but they wanted way to much money to make it worth it for us. So we waited and I searched every day.

Then at the end of May a house popped up that was in exactly the area I wanted. It was even one of the homes that I had taped a note on. Only problem was that they wanted renters June 1st and we didn't want to move until August 1st. As I looked up the property online I found another ad for the same house asking for roommates. As it turned out the guy living at the house didn't want to move out, he was being evicted if he couldn't find more roommates to help him pay rent. When I talked to the property management company they said that it would be whoever could sign the lease and pay first would get the home. So we went that Monday and looked at the house and put down our deposit with our application that same day.

Then we had to deal with getting out of our current lease which wasn't supposed to end until July 31st. When all was said in done, we had to pay a $400 penalty for breaking the lease. Then, we were still responsible for giving 30 days notice so the soonest we could get out of our apartment was June 21st. This meant we had to pay double rent for half the month since the new house wanted us to sign the lease as of early June. Then things really started getting expensive.

First our renters in the Colorado Springs house moved out and we had to pay the mortgage on our home in addition to the double months rent for our apartment/rental house. And then when I took the 4runner in for an oil change it was discovered I needed all new tires ASAP...which meant another $1,000 to take care of that problem.

Talk about an expensive month! And since none of this was planned we were thrown into a wild ride of packing/cleaning/moving/budgeting that could make anyone go crazy. And doing all this while pregnant with 2 little kids was quite the challenge. But I like challenges and I'm excited to get everything settled earlier than expected and have the summer to spend at our new place.

Pictures to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment